Thursday, June 17, 2010

A Poetic Circus Needs a Poetic Clown

Wow… How messed up is the Oxford Professorship of poetry elections… A wonderful opportunity to put poetry in the news, and it is being treated like a day trip to St Trinians by the possible candidates.

We’ve had the favouritism and the only woman candidate leaving (Read here)

We’ve had accusations of pretension and pseudo-intellectualism (See Here and Here)

And that’s not mentioning the debacle that it descended into last year.

It was even described as a Circus today (See Here)

And I wish I was involved. What does every circus need? A Dancing Grizzly bear… No… Sorry… That was the wrong thing I wanted to say, No dancing bear is needed, not in this circus, it could do with a Clown though, albeit a poetic one… Like myself.

I may not have the experience, or the degrees, but I have been told that, ‘You make Children happy, don’t ever stop.’ And I have been described as ‘delightfully ridiculous’ rather than just ridiculous like the escapades of the current bunch of potential poets.

I know it’s too late for this time, and I will probably never get it ever anyway, but I can but dream. I’d like to immerse myself in the pastoral/lively atmosphere of Further Academia writing/reading verse and about verse whilst talking about it, oh what might have been.

My Book can be purchased here:

Me reading a poem:

No comments: