Monday, March 16, 2009

Seachtain na Gaeilge

As I have blogged before, I cannot speak a word of the beautiful Irish Language, and things have not changed since I wrote this blog.

So it was a bit surprising to be asked to provide a poetry/song performance for Children in Baldoyle Library for Seachtain na Gaeilge, The festival to promote the use of the language.

But asked I was and pleased I am that I was asked… I had another great reading/performance… My book was met with enthusiasm. As were my poems and songs…

The day started as usual, with a coffee and a breakfast… I made my way to Baldoyle library and tuned up…

The Children were being brought down by a bus and as there were so many of them, they were being brought in, in stages. Therefore, there were a group of Children sitting watching me drink my coffee as I was still waiting for others to come down.

Eventually, due to a delay with the bus… I was asked to start by introducing myself. Normally I would start with a song and then introduce myself… But I’m all for a change and I did this and was immediately met with questions…

As well as reading my poems and singing my songs, I mentioned that I shamefully have not made any attempts to learn Irish, despite the best intentions and I got them to teach me a few phrases and even got an Irish poem written and read by a small group of girls.

All in All an exceptionally enjoyable experience… And this time next year I hope to inform readers that I have made some attempt to learn Irish.

No comments: